Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wine Tasting & Jet Lag in Cape Town

Happy 4th of July Everyone!!

Today we went wine tasting outside of Cape Town which was a very nice day.  Almost have no clue what day of the week it is which feels like a good thing. 

Before we go into the wine tasting we first shall start with Jetlag. 

It can be a tough.  I (Vince) am definetely not settled into the time zone change.  Terrible sleeper to begin with my body still can't figure out where it is.  So we had a 7:45 AM alarm for breakfast before wine tasting and at 3:45AM I was still up.  So needless to say I am a little tired but trying to stay awake until 10PM so that I can get back on schedule (at least that is the hope)

We had an absolutely amazing day today in an around Cape Town.  It is winter here but the weather was in the mid 70's and sunny skies.  We went to 5 vineyards today and they were all very interesting.  Reminded Bethe & I a little of Napa (except everyone has a funny accent and drives on the wrong side of the road).  We had a mixture of champagne and wine to satisfy both of us and went to lunch at an amazing little spot (pictures are uploaded at the bottom)

We could not ship any wine home - the US has strict laws in place right now for South Africa wine coming into the states.  So we will have to figure that out when we get home.
We also stopped and picked up new vuvuzelas today - know we just need to learn how to use them!!

Tomorrow is Table Mountain and the Cape Tour.  I am told we will be able to see penguins on the beach down there.

Sue and Howard hope you enjoy the fireworks

4 comments:

Unknown said...

From Anthony:

[Screaming and laughing] Uncle Vinnie, we don't see penguins at the beach!

I hope you go with your dog! [Not sure where]

[Anything else?] I like it when you tickle me. I love you tickling me because I love tickles. Those are my best! Why did Uncle Vinnie say, 'stupid, stupid, stupid,' Mom?

[Tell him where you're going to go today, Anthony:] I gonna go to a park called vevulzela.

Unknown said...

These pictures are AMAZING! The weather looks beautiful for your trip to the wineries! And I'm so glad they have plenty of champagne for Bethe!

It has been such fun to follow your travels, although I have an admission to make. We have been following you on the map on the computer, which is hilarious in and of itself because Anthony thinks the laptop has a touchscreen like my iPhone so it's hard to see anything with his pawprints on the screen, not to mention his frustration that his touching does nothing.

So, back to the admission, as we followed you from Vancouver to London to Nairobi, I taught Anthony that Nairobi was in Egypt. Ok, my bad, I admit it. It took a full 24 hours for me to admit to Tony my goof and bad lesson to Anthony. At which point TONY says, of course Nairobi isn't in Egypt, it is its own country! NOW, I felt more vindicated than EVER because apparently he wasn't tapped to be the geography teacher of the family, either.

So your trip has taught us countless lessons already and you've barely left. Thanks for sharing your travels with us, we have really enjoyed it so far!

VagabondJim said...

You're at about 33 degrees south -- Los Angeles is at about 33 degrees north. Imagine if we had penguins here! So. Africa is the northernmost place with endemic penguins.

Be prepared, they're noisy , smelly creatures. I say, feed 'em to the great whites!


Jim

Vince and Bethe said...

I don't know what is better. Little Anthony going to vuvuzela park or Big Tony thinking Nairobi was its own country.