Thursday, July 8, 2010

"This is being added to your existing case." -- Stuck in Jo-berg

Today is a double post day as well!

So, today has not gone as planned.  We missed our connection to Dar Es Salaam in Johanesburg due to a flight delay in Durban.  Ran all the way to the gate like we were on "The Amazing Race" only to find out that the gate was closed.  I {Bethe} cried for about 10 minutes then got really upset and then finally calmed down.  Luckily we were able to get a room in a hotel right across from the airport.  We had a nice dinner with a bottle of champagne and will now stay the night until our flight leaves tomorrow afternoon.  We will miss one day of Safari but luckily we did not miss any of the World Cup matches unlike some of the unlikely people we heard about.

As for our quote in the Post, that is what the American Express agent said to us regarding their third screw up with our booking.  At least the hotel and champagne should be covered.  Cheers!!

Oh, and here is a picture of the Durban stadium and our picture with a crazy Spain guy last night --

Our picture uploading is behind - we are working on uploading the pictures from the Cape Tour and Semifinals today.  Hopefully everything is updated before we leave for Dar today

4 comments:

VagabondJim said...

I'm not sure your beef is with Amex. It seems that you should be seeking remedy from the airline involved.

I'm glad the games were fun. If only Germany had actually showed up...

Durbs is very different than Cape Town. And, honestly, you didn't really miss much.

You're done with So. Africa now, right?



Jim

Vince and Bethe said...

Beef is definetely with AMEX. They have admitted mistake. The booked a connection that was shorter than 1.5 hrs. They told us it was a valid connection. Now that they go back they realize it is not.
Amex has already sent email saying thier mistake and they are paying.

Not a big fan of AMEX platinum at this point in time.


Done with SA - rest is all Tanzania

Vince and Bethe said...

Beef is definetely with AMEX. They have admitted mistake. The booked a connection that was shorter than 1.5 hrs. They told us it was a valid connection. Now that they go back they realize it is not.
Amex has already sent email saying thier mistake and they are paying.

Not a big fan of AMEX platinum at this point in time.


Done with SA - rest is all Tanzania

VagabondJim said...

I just had a beef with Amex Platinum Concierge Service.

They were supposed to buy tickets to the AUS v. NZ rugby match (during my September trip to Australia) for me the moment they went on sale. They didn't. I looked at the website 2 hours into the sale period and noticed what I could buy. The next day APCS came calling with the "good news." The problem is the tickets are clearly worse seats than I could have bought on my own.

I sent a nastygram - no answer.

They sent me a customer service survey -- I blasted them. The manager read it and offered me a "goodwill credit." Not bad.

Then I looked at my statement -- they are disputing the charge. yes, Amex is disputing Amex on my behalf without my doing anything.

We'll see how it turns out.